Whether you’re hosting an intimate gathering or lavish dinner, every elegant meal deserves a well-styled tablescape. The objective is to create a stunning ambiance that complements your festive feast. You’ll also want your decor to encourage conversation…not cut it off. As a Chicago-area caterer, my tips will show you how to develop a traditional but contemporary table that will have everyone talking—at the party and beyond!
Despite popular belief, you don’t need to spend a lot of time or money to strike the right balance. Before you buy anything new, look through your holiday decorations (and your own backyard) to inventory what you already have. If you’d like to add something special, a craft store or florist might be all you need.
Tablescape Tips From A Holiday Caterer
- Be Fresh: Nothing lifts spirits quite like a fresh bouquet of flowers. Opt for a few modest arrangements for the table, as opposed to a large one that will block conversation.
- Make It Shine: A little twinkle makes everything bright! So add winter whimsy with your favorite candles or sparkly white lights.
- Go Natural: Look to Mother Nature for gorgeous greenery. Select fresh evergreens, twigs and pinecones, and situate them down the center of your table.
- Show Off Heirlooms: There’s no better time to break out Grandma's china or crystal serving pieces to make the celebration sweeter (and more personal).
- Make Menu Cards: If you’re serving multiple courses or food and wine pairings, be sure to let everyone know what’s coming with pretty printed menus at each seat.
- Play With Place Cards: If you’re hosting more than 8 people, place cards are a must. Make it fun with these “you are seated next to” place cards to get the party started!
- Look to Pinterest: If you’re stumped on how to bring it all together, Pinterest is chock full of images and step-by-step guides to help you decorate your table in no time.
- Set the Table Early: Don’t leave decorating to the last minute. Instead, set your table the night before your holiday gathering. It’s one less thing for you to do on the big day!
Holiday Catering Special
Deb Miley Dishes, your premier Chicago party caterer, offers customized, traditional and indulgent menus to help you thrive this season. Click here to book before 12/31/16 and receive a FREE bottle of wine from our exclusive collection. It’s the most stylish way to celebrate!